Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Subpar Media Outlets.

A two point post today, related topics:

1. Why are Christian Radio hosts always so cheery? It's really weird and completely annoying. We have a great Christian radio station here...they play a great variety of really good music...a nice mix of worship songs and Christian rock. I listen to them in the mornings on the way to work...until the hosts come on and start talking, and then I have to change the station. It's just too much. It's like listening to a combination of Kelly Ripa, Rachel Ray, and those annoying people at church who are just a little to "fake" about their Christianity...you know, the ones who are very interested in keeping up apperances, even when life sucks. It bugs the dickens out of me. Why can't a Christian media outlet be full of real people who have real feelings and are relatable? These falsely cheery types just don't do it for me.

2. So we just signed up for cable service, after an 18 months self-imposed absence. It's pretty nice. We have a DVR now which, don't even get me started, is pretty much the best invention since the television. I love love love it. We also have a station designated for promoting Barack Obama. It's called Obama TV. 24 hrs a day they run Obama advertisements. Mostly shots of him looking thoughful and presidential laid-over with clips of him sounding thoughtful and presidential. Tom's been watching it. And lately he's started quoting it, just to tick me off. It works.

7 comments:

Dan said...

YI'm in complete agreement. It's actually one of the reasons why I think one can actually, truly, be a blues player and be Christian. The idea that being "Christian" means being endlessly and consistenly cheery is belied by the fact that most of Ecclesiastes, and large parts of the Psalms, consist of life observations that are a good bit less than happy-go-lucky. But apparently no one in the modern church wants to know, so they just pretend that melancholia and ennui are unusual abberations, rather than normal human feelings. It's part of the reason why I don't listen to Christian radio.

A Southern Wedding Belle said...

If you have to be cheery all the time to qualify as a Christian, then I'm out of luck!! And, as Dan opines - it is not Biblical. Now what is this about Obama TV? Is that just a Texas thing? As Tom says: "Everything is bigger in Texas". I can't stand the thought of 24/7 B.O.!

Sutton said...

You know what's just as bad as Christian radio? Delilah. So relentlessly breathy and sappy I just want to punch her through the radio after I throw up.

Obama TV. HA. ludicrous.

Did Tom get a new phone?

AtlantaMama said...

I really cannot get started on the Obama stuff. This little box is not big enough for me to go off about my strong dislike.
About the radio thing... I completely agree. There is one here in the Atl area on Sunday mornings... I cannot stand to hear her voice. No one should be that overly excited in the morning.

McMel said...

Ann, i know EXACTLY who you're talking about on Sunday morning- Charmaine, and I want to punch her in the face! Everything that comes out of her mouth it sounds like she's laughing about it. ARGH!

regarding BO- let me guess, you have dish network? b\c 1. i too am in love w] my dvr, and 2. i just discovered the BO channel on Thursday, and i called Dave on my way to work to fume over it. so it's not just a Texas thing, just a DN thing, i guess.

Kelly Davis said...

How funny would it be to have an extremely jaded and cynical host who verbally abused callers on the Christian station...How is God's country (Texas) treating y'all? Me and Misty miss y'all!

carolineb said...

Very funny, Kelly. I nominate myself.

...putting down some roots?